Learn how to navigate challenges, embrace a new community, and choose the ideal relocation accommodation.
09th Oct 2023
Table of contents
- How to prepare when relocating to a new area
- What is relocation accommodation?
- Challenges you may face when relocating
- 5 things that matter most when looking for extended stay accommodation
- The benefits of staying in a Corporate Living Accommodation serviced residence
Embarking on a journey to a new location can be both exciting and challenging. Whether you're relocating for work, in the military, returning from overseas, or have been displaced from your permanent home, finding the right accommodation for an extended stay is crucial to a smooth transition.
With many options available, the process of sourcing accommodation for your relocation can be overwhelming.
In this article, we’ll explore what relocation accommodation is and the challenges that it can present to travellers. Plus, we’ll share our top tips for streamlining your relocation accommodation experience, and how Corporate Living Accommodation aligns with your preferences to create comfortable, convenient, and connected accommodation. We’ve also included a link to 106 tips from a relocation specialist.
How to prepare when relocating to a new area
You might be feeling excited, anxious, curious, frustrated, nostalgic, free… or a combination of them all! This range of emotions is perfectly normal, and it’s important to allow yourself to feel how you feel and tap into your support network when you need to. Whatever the reason for your move, careful planning, adaptability, and a readiness to embrace change will help you settle into your new location.
When it comes to relocation, there are a lot of things to consider, like researching your new location, finding the right accommodation for you and your specific needs, preparing and securing your permanent home, packing, moving, unpacking, familiarising yourself with your new neighbourhood, settling into work… the list goes on, and if you’re travelling with your loved ones, including your beloved pets, that list is even longer!
While it can seem an Everest-sized mission, relocating is made easier by utilising the expertise of relocation professionals, and choosing the right service providers who will support you through the experience. If you’re relocating for work, your organisation may have existing connections with relocation companies or may provide recommendations of people to assist with your transition.
If you need some assistance in preparing to relocate, Personnel Relocations has compiled a handy list of 106 tips from a relocations specialist.
What is relocation accommodation?
Relocation accommodation refers to temporary housing solutions designed for individuals, colleagues, and families who are relocating to a new area for an extended period. This could be due to various reasons such as corporate relocations, expat assignments, long-term projects, or personal circumstances.
At Corporate Living Accommodation, we’ve had residents stay with us while their homes are being repaired by their insurer, under NDIS as respite or to connect them with their healthcare providers when they live far away, corporate assignments, and while working on major projects including North East Link in Melbourne, part of Victoria’s Big Build and the Walmer Street Bridge, connecting Kew and Abbotsford.
Referred to in a multitude of ways, you might know relocation accommodation as temporary housing, corporate housing, extended stay accommodation, relocation housing, or transition accommodation, to name just a few. Regardless of how you refer to it, relocation accommodation uniquely sits between corporate travel accommodation like hotels and serviced apartments, and traditional long-term leasing agreements.
Unlike traditional short-term stays, relocation accommodation offers the comfort and convenience of home, making it a perfect choice for those seeking familiarity, flexibility, and ease during the transition to a new location. With furnishings, kitchen appliances, laundry facilities, utilities, balconies or terraces, parking, security, and access to leisure facilities, relocation accommodation has a lot to offer.
While it might be referred to as “temporary,” relocation accommodation isn’t necessarily limited to shorter stays, and is often available as a permanent place of residency while you’re on a relocation assignment or posting, regardless of the duration of your relocation.
Challenges you may face when relocating
The experience of relocating to a new area comes with its own set of challenges. On the one hand, you may be anticipating the start of a new chapter, however, the practical aspects of relocation can throw the proverbial spanner.
Adapting to a new environment, navigating unfamiliar streets, and dealing with the emotional impact of leaving behind your familiar surroundings, and loved ones, can be a lot to manage. Add to that the stress of finding suitable accommodation that meets your needs, establishing a sense of belonging (finding a good hairdresser, or a cafe that makes your morning coffee just the way you like it) and building new social connections in an unfamiliar place… the process can become so overwhelming you don’t know where to start!
Anticipating these challenges is crucial to ensuring a smooth and successful relocation experience. At Corporate Living Accommodation, we're dedicated to alleviating accommodation-related stress and offer a supportive environment to help you overcome these obstacles.
We’ve put together a list of 5 key things to consider when searching for relocation accommodation.
5 things that matter most when looking for extended stay accommodation
When searching for the ideal relocation accommodation, be sure to consider:
- Comfort and Convenience: Your accommodation should offer the comfort of a home, with well-furnished spaces, cozy bedrooms, and a fully equipped kitchen with appliances including a microwave and dishwasher. Look for providers that include utility connections, Wi-Fi, and regular housekeeping service. Convenience is essential, allowing you to re-establish your routine and lifestyle effortlessly.
- Location, Location: Choosing accommodation near your workplace, essential amenities, schools, and leisure spots can save you valuable time and enhance your overall experience in the new area.
- Flexibility: Life during relocation can be unpredictable. Look for providers that offer flexible leasing terms to accommodate any unexpected changes in your plans.
- Personalised Experience: Every traveller has unique preferences. Seek accommodation providers who listen to your needs and align their offerings to create a personalised experience that resonates with you. And if you want to relocate with your pet, look for pet-friendly accommodation, and be sure to research what they provide and any additional fees you may encounter.
- Community and Connection: Moving to a new area can sometimes lead to feelings of isolation. Opt for accommodation that fosters a sense of community, providing opportunities to connect with fellow residents and the local community.
The benefits of staying in a Corporate Living Accommodation serviced residence
At Corporate Living Accommodation, we take pride in offering serviced residences as an exceptional option for relocation accommodation. Here's why our apartment-style accommodation is your best choice:
- Feel Right at Home: Our fully furnished residences are thoughtfully designed to provide you with all the comforts of home. From spacious living areas to well-equipped kitchens, you'll have everything you need at your fingertips. We provide more than the basic kettle and toaster, we think the comforts of home are important, like an oven and cooktop, full-sized refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher. You don’t need to venture away from home to do your laundry, stay in the comfort of your residence and use your private washer and dryer, while our Studio residents can take advantage of the communal on-site laundry facilities.
- Flexible Stay: Whether you need accommodation for a few weeks or several months, even the full term of your work assignment, our flexible rates cater to your unique requirements. We understand that plans can often change, whether it’s the ever-changing needs of infrastructure projects, a contract extension, delay in home repairs, or you just haven’t found your forever home, we work closely with you to minimise disruption to your residency.
- Tailored Accommodation: We believe in the power of personalisation. Our team works closely with you to understand your preferences and tailor your accommodation experience to your own specific needs. Our concierge will connect with you prior to your arrival to discover what’s important, and what’s not. If you love to flex your culinary muscles, we’ll ensure you have all the kitchen appliances and equipment you need, from food processors and mix masters to air fryers and blenders. If you’re a cafephile and love to brew a fresh cup of joe at home, we’ll make sure you have a coffee machine and bean grinder waiting for you. Our tailored accommodation doesn’t stop in the kitchen, so whether it’s indoor plants, bed linens, pillow profiles, throw cushions or yoga mats, if it matters to you, it matters to us.
- Pet Friendly: We understand that pets are very important family members. If you’re travelling with your fur baby, let us know so we can ensure your accommodation is suitable, as not all our locations are pet-friendly. Our tailored approach doesn’t stop at our human residents!
- Nurturing Connectedness: You’ve heard the phrase, “it takes a village…” well, think of us as your village. Our experienced team is passionate about creating genuine connections with our residents. We greet you by name, say hello when we pass you, and we love to sit down and have a cuppa and a chat. Our shout! We want to ensure your experience is a positive one. Providing a space where you feel connected. A place where you feel like you belong.
- Wellness and Community Spirit: Living in our serviced residences gives you the opportunity to become part of a vibrant community. We organise events and activities that encourage interaction among residents, making it easy for you to forge new connections. Each month we host a breakfast or dinner and welcome you to come along to get to know your residence team and neighbours. Some of our residents have found a movie mate, golfing buddy, or fellow football fan to catch a game with. It’s also a great opportunity for us to support local businesses too, whether we utilise their catering services, book a table at their venue, or purchase their produce and goods. We also work with community organisations, sporting clubs and leisure precincts to complement your stay with access to their facilities and programs, like swimming pools and gyms.
- Convenience: With prime locations in proximity to major business hubs, infrastructure project sites, entertainment areas, and essential services, our serviced apartment-style residences ensure that you're never far from what you need.
Transitioning to a new area can be made significantly easier by surrounding yourself with familiar comforts. Our residences are meticulously designed to provide a sense of belonging, helping you settle in quickly so you can focus on your new journey. Picture yourself unwinding on a comfortable sofa, cooking your favourite meals in a fully equipped kitchen, and enjoying a good night's sleep in a cozy bedroom – all in an environment that feels like home.
At Corporate Living Accommodation, we recognise the challenges that come with relocation and are committed to providing you with a relocation accommodation experience that not only meets your needs but exceeds your expectations. Our residences offer the perfect blend of comfort, convenience, and community, ensuring that your transition is as smooth as possible. As you embark on this new chapter, let us be your partner in creating a warm and welcoming space that you'll be excited to call home.
Explore our residences to see which Corporate Living Accommodation location suits your needs.
Contact our team to find out more about how we can support you with relocation accommodation.